Tuesday 21 June 2016

Oriole Update by Susan L.

  While standing under the Oriole nest doing the bi-nightly garden watering, Mama bird sat in the tree with a beak full of caterpillar. She eyed me with a great deal of distrust. When I moved further from the nest the young ones in the nest chittered away. I guess the noise had them thinking some sort of snack was nearby. It was but delayed by traffic. It's nice to know they hatched.
  The wren in the back yard wasn't so lucky. What was probably a racoon climbed the pole and tore out the bottom of the box. I didn't think predators could get to it but obviously I was wrong. It will have to be rebuilt and hung on the side of the house where it's safer.
  This means a bat house wouldn't be safe on the pole either. Too bad. There's really no other place to install one that gets enough sunlight. Maybe this need for the box to be hung in the sunlight could be rethought. Bats normally dwell in caves which isn't a particularly warm environment. A few years ago there was a small group that took up temporary residence in my neighbour's eaves on the shady side of the house. If that's the case, the box could be hung elsewhere. Hmmm. I'll have to scout around the yard to see if there's an alternative site. Or...
  Several years ago I built a privacy wall using old windows decorated with faux stained glass. Gray latex caulking was put on to resemble the leading between the sections. It was left to dry over night then cleaned up by trimming it with a sharp knife. Clear silicone was applied in various textures to create the look of frosted glass.
  They're looking kind of tired. The calking is nearly worn away. The wood, salvaged from various sources, is also looking rather weatherworn and starting to sag. (The photo is from when it was first done.)
  What I could do is incorporate a taller post for a bat house to be hung on. And maybe this time the wall will be installed square and level seeing as how my wood working skills have greatly improved since this build. I am amazed it's stood this long!
   Okay. I'm not psychic but I foresee an impending trip to the hardware store!
  "Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise. Be thankful to Him and bless His name. For the Lord is good; His mercy is everlasting, and His truth endures to all generations." Ps 100:4-5
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...