Tuesday 14 June 2016

Orlando by Susan L.

  Because of rarely watching the news, I hadn't heard about what had happened until yesterday, that over fifty people were killed in a nightclub. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and loved ones of those whose lives were taken in such a senseless exercise of hate.
  The outpouring of love from the LGBTQ (hope I got that right) community around the world is beautiful to see.
 Yet, I wonder where the rest of the world is when countless women are slaughtered in honor killings or mutilated in the name of religion. I wonder where the rest of the world is when women and children, of both genders, are sold into the sex trade. I wonder where the rest of the world is when boatloads of families drown trying to flee war torn homelands. I wonder where the rest of the world is when slave labour is used to manufacture cheap goods. I wonder where the rest of the world is when illness rakes her disease tainted claws across a land. I wonder where the rest of the world is when entire races of people are systematically erased from existence.
  Not that I am any better. That "rest of the world" includes me. Being snug and safe and utterly disconnected from these events means I don't think about them until they hit me in the face by watching the news.
  I may not be able to help personally or financially but I can pray for those who are dedicated to righting the wrongs, who fight against crime and injustice. Prayers of blessing can be offered for those who have opened their doors to the disenfranchised. Prayers of protection can blanket those who, despite danger to themselves, fight for human rights. Prayers of victory can assist those who offer medical aid without a thought to their own safety.
  God bless these warriors. Help me, Lord, be a better prayer warrior for the world.
  "These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." Jn 16:33
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...