Saturday 30 July 2016

It's a Go! by Susan L.

  As much as I trusted the Lord that He would make the Cape Breton bus tour happen, as much as I prayed it would be so, the temptation to check out the amount of seats sold proved too strong. Some things you just gotta know! There's only three seats left which means they've sold seven, well over their minimum requirement of four. There's a happy dance taking place in the kitchen right now!
  There was also a sale on at the local work/outdoor outfitters. I got my hikers at 60% off! Now it's simply a matter of breaking them in and being faithful to the walking. They also had seamless hiking socks that don't rub the toes. It might be worthwhile picking up a couple of pairs.
  I can't remember ever having been so excited about something. Maybe Christmas when I was little. Even the stuff that has gotten stirred up in art therapy hasn't affected me except to have me ponder the why's and how come's.
  The black box image has simmered away on the back burner for the last couple of weeks. While away camping, I left my mind open to discovering what was inside. I found a whole whack of shame as my two companions discussed dieting and losing weight. Having been so ill, the pounds have packed on since Christmas. Not that I needed more to be overweight, it sure hasn't helped.
  It's something we're bombarded with all the time, that being skinny is the only way to be socially acceptable or to be considered beautiful. TV, books, and billboards along the roadside all whisper the subtle message that unless you are tall, blond and leggy, or have tight skin with no wrinkles, feeds into low self-esteem. Or worse: into actual dislike of self.
  Let's look at this realistically. Two of the three meds I am on cause weight gain. Being over fifty causes weight gain. Genetics are part of it too. I've never been skinny. I've already mentioned being forced to be a couch potato. Sigh. There's also a huge part of me that views dieting as "why bother? You're going to be fat anyways."  Hmm, I need to investigate where that came from.
  Then there's the struggle to cook something decent for myself as opposed to munching down a couple of sandwiches. Somehow saving money seems to cut into the food budget. I wonder where that concept came from?
  Neither camping or the Nova Scotia trip would have happened unless there was the means to pay for it. Perhaps it's time to find another place for saving. That is if I want there to be future trips to lands unexplored.
 " "Am I a God near at hand," says the Lord, "And not a God afar off? Can anyone hide himself in secret places, so I shall not see him?" says the Lord, "Do I not fill heaven and earth?" says the Lord." Jer 23:23-24
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. My own "dieting" desire has always come from wanting to be as healthy as I can, whether it be the type of food I eat, or the amount. The same goes for exercise. At over 60, I realize my time is limited, and I don't want to end up unable to live my last years as fully as I hope to. Part of self-respect is to give ourselves the best treatment we can manage, in all areas of health. I have found that no matter what is stacked against me (genetics, body shape, weakness, pain, fatigue, busy schedule), there is always something small I can do to improve things. One healthy thing to eat. One more effort at exercise. I have failed time and time again. And I have re-started time and time again. It is paying off, little by little. At 60 I am in better shape than I was at 50.

    Blessings to all your efforts, no matter how small!

    ReplyDelete

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...