Monday 1 August 2016

Bonus! by Susan L.

  I've talked about Earl Rowe Conservation area so often and the fact that it's at my front door has made me take it for granted. Before the heat got too bad, it seemed prudent to go for my daily walk. I took the camera so I can share the wonders of a path in the park.
  The longer path, whose entrance is further up the road, meanders up one side of the river, crosses over a pair of bridges and an island, then leads back to the entrance closest to my house. It takes about fifty minutes to walk.

  Most of the time, the lake or river can be seen from the path. Because it's a long weekend, there were many paddlers out enjoying the water. Motorboats are forbidden. I forget that for people in Toronto, we are the north!
  Within the thousand acres that make up the park, there's picnic spots, campsites, a pool, a beach, and many other trails to hike. This one is merely the closest to my house. One of the trails overlooks the entire valley where the park is. I haven't quite got to hiking hills yet.
  There are a variety of waterfowl and wading birds who grace the wetlands. There's a variety of song birds because there's a variety of habitats within the park. The water attracts Canada geese, blue and green herons, gulls, cormorants and even several Kingfishers. The Kingfishers seem to be as foul tempered as a red squirrel in that they are quick to chatter swear words at you when disturbed.
  Once the campers leave for the season, I've seen deer and even a beaver merrily munching some young poplar.
  The path is lined with a variety of wildflowers in yellow, white and purple. Raspberries love the location as much as I love the taste. The fruit is small this year but still provides a burst of flavour that has been warmed by the sun. I made a mistake once and popped a wild grape into my mouth. It was so sour my entire mouth caved in!
  There are turtles but it seems every year something digs up their nests. At Grundy, the park staff asked to be informed where a nest was. It was covered with welded wire and heavy rocks to prevent the nest being plundered for someone's dinner. I wonder if Earl Rowe has the same sort of policy.
  Looking at this picture of the bridge, it all looks so cool and inviting! The temperature is in the low thirties today with humidity through the roof. Typical of this time of year.
  The cicadas were loud. Dragonflies in blue, red, black and white, and green were quick to flee when I got too near. The odd grasshopper also made flying leaps to escape this towering human. There's butterflies, bees, and a gazillion other bugs who make the area their home. I do hate walking through a spider's web, though. Mosquito repellent kept not only mosquitoes at bay but also the even more annoying deer flies. Worse are horse flies over an inch long that seem to tear a chunk of flesh out when they bite. Thank you, OFF bug spray!
  It's nice to go for a walk in the evening. Watching the fish jump out of the water to feast on what was feasting on us gives a great deal of satisfaction. Some of the fish are quite large and can leap clear out of the water! There's also huge catfish sifting through the mud along the bottom of the river for whatever it is catfish eat.
  This cedar lined path means I am almost home.
  Thank You, Lord, there is such beauty and diversity a few steps away.
  "Sing praises to God, sing praises! Sing praises to our King, sing praises! For God is the King of all the earth; sing praises with understanding." Ps 48:6-7
 
 
 
 
 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...