Monday 22 August 2016

Ooops! by Susan L.

 I practiced the songs for Sunday until I was satisfied I knew them. Showed up for early rehearsal because in the summer we only rehearse before church, not on the Friday like in the winter. Got the music stand, the mike stand and mike set up. Got my flute warmed up and tuned. Raring to go!
  Then I looked at the song the vocalists were ready to sing. It wasn't the same! Oh, dear!
  The team leader had sent out next week's songs a week early...I was a week early.
  It meant not playing the flute because that music is my responsibility. So I sang, thankfully knowing the songs that had been picked for this Sunday's service. It all worked out in the end.
  I won't be there next week. A Sarnia trip is in the plan. That's okay. Flute practicing of any form is good for the body's core muscles. It's like doing sit-ups only not as sweaty. It's been good to stretch the lungs, too. I can play far longer before needing to take a breath than when I first started playing again.
  The next visit to a music store will provide an opportunity to get some more classical flute music. My repertoire is limited to a few pieces that have been floating around since high school.
  The lesson yesterday was an affirmation of the decisions I'd made regarding my faith and beliefs. It was an affirmation of what bothers me about religious practices while providing sound, scriptural references surrounding those issues.
  Bruxy Cavey has been using the life of Moses to teach us. He brought up a part of the story that's been skipped in many of the movies made about Moses' life. God wanted to give the Ten Commandments to all of the people directly. The people wouldn't listen to Him and asked that Moses be the only one to talk to God then relay the message to them. They believed they needed a priest to intercede between them and their heavenly Father according to Jewish beliefs and practices.
  God had brought the people through fire and water to a new life.
  Moses did as his people asked. He went and talked with God. His people built a golden calf to worship in his absence.
  I'd always believed the forty years in the wilderness was a punishment for Israel's wayward ways. I don't see it that way now. I believe the Lord was giving each and every one of them the chance to embrace dialoging with Him on a personal level.
  We tend to turn to God when the going gets tough.
  The "fear of God" was also explained. Fear has two meanings. (I'll quote the handout.)
1. God hates me and I am doomed. (Not!!)
2. God loves me and I am in awe. (Amazed, trembling, wide-eyed, repentant, wanting to be better than I am, to please Him, to serve Him, to glorify Him, to rest in His strength. Feeling blessed and honoured that He listens to me...my words which I lift up in a prayer of gratitude for these uncountable gifts. In Jesus' Name.)
  Bruxy is gently opening our minds to the understanding of how the Old Testament is a road map pointing to God's heart and the Son who died for us.
  "Now all the people witnessed the thunderings, the lightening flashes, the sound of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking; and when the people saw it, they trembled and stood afar off. Then they said to Moses, "You speak with us, and we will hear; but let not God speak to us, lest we die." And Moses said to the people, "Do not fear, for God has come to test you , and that His fear may be before you, so that you may not sin. So the people stood afar off, but Moses drew near the thick darkness where God was." Ex 20:18-21
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...