Monday 1 August 2016

Walking Wary by Susan L.

  The Lord has helped me be faithful to my desires to walk a bit every day. Even yesterday's pitiful, mizzling rain whose only purpose was to bring out the mosquitoes didn't stop me. (Lord, we need much more!) I'd walked on the road the day before but find the loop in the conservation area much easier because the path is softer. An added bonus is the uneven ground which means more muscles are being used. Except for the whining bugs, it felt good. Even after three days I can feel the difference. The boots are breaking in nicely.
  Usually a walk in the park means a slow meander with the keen focus of being mindful of what's around me. I had to remind myself that even walking at a good pace, there is much to see. The macro treasures can wait for another day.
  I am still amazed at the damage Easter's ice storm did. It hit me as well how much an area of planted pines has grown, seemingly over night. The branches are almost touching over the path. It's one of my favorite parts on the loop because of the sweet fragrance.
  On a completely different note, last week I received a total of four pre-recorded messages. It started off "...agency to inform you that your name has been included..." It went on to say that some sort of legal action was imminent. Unless I took action right away, there would be dire financial consequences. They left a toll free number to call. Which I did to get them to stop harassing me. The number was out of service.
  Can you spell "scam"?
  First of all, the agency calling was nameless. Secondly, they didn't use my name at all. It makes me so angry that there are criminals out there who manipulate the truth for personal financial gain. It makes me even angrier that they use the phone to invade the sanctity of my home. And even though I called the number it was with grave concerns that somehow they could connect to my phone line for other nefarious purposes. Too much CSI I guess. Or maybe it's being savvy and alert.
  There was one a while back, a caller claiming to be from a well known internet provider claiming they'd found a problem with my computer. I followed along, turning on the computer, asking questions but when I informed the caller I didn't have internet, he hung up. He was absolutely up to no good!
  These situations merely drive home the necessity of being especially wary of unsolicited calls.
  "Your dwelling place is in the midst of deceit; Through deceit they refuse to know Me," says the Lord." Jer 9:6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...