Thursday 22 September 2016

Bay of Fundy by Susan L.


 I arrived at the motel around supper time after stopping for a stretch in Annapolis Royal. Grand Pre, where I was staying, is a land of dykes and farmland thirty meters below the ocean. It's recognized as an important historical sight.
  The heavens opened the moment I drove up. I raced to the office only to find it was closed! Doing my panic thing, I asked another new guest if there was a phone in their room so I could call the owner. He smiled and informed me that there was a list taped to the office door with names and rooms, the rooms were open, the key on the table. The owner would connect in the morning.
  It was aptly called the Beach Breeze Motel. The wind howled that night, rocking the building so hard the bed shook!! I was glad I was tucked in safe and warm! Dawn came bright, sunny and a bit cooler. Other than that, it was a blessedly quiet area. Human noise didn't reach the isolated site of the motel.
  Early the next morning, I headed to Blomidon Provincial Park about an hour away. The Cape Breton guide had suggested doing the Jhodrey trail, accessible from a parking lot just outside the main gates. Once again taking the back roads let me come across one of the Bay's iconic sights: fishing boats on the ground waiting for the tide to come in.
  I packed a lunch for the hike, gathered my art supplies and eagerly went to the trail entrance. There were two signs. One had a long list of what to do in the eventuality of running into coyotes and a phone number to call if they are unusually aggressive. The other suggested that hikers wear orange when the park was closed because of hunters. Gulp. The park was closed for the season. Then I read that the trail went from thirty feet above sea level to over 3800 feet.
  There weren't very many people there that early. The climbing trail had some treacherous footing like these tree root steps. The signs made me nervous since I was all alone up there. A slip or a fall could be disastrous so, feeling wise, I turned around and went to a place where there was a picnic table to have an early lunch and do some sketching.
  After visiting Scot's Bay, a small fishing village with a cobblestone beach and by going back to the hotel a different way, I came across "The Lookout" that I'd seen signs for. It provided a tremendous view without having to do the hard slogging of the trail.
  This area is decidedly picturesque. The endless tidal flats that stretch for miles contrasts with the rich agriculture. It's a winery district as well as being able to grow apples and other produce.
  As the sun set, I walked the beach that stretched for miles. Not just in either direction but out towards the water as well. It was hard to see exactly where it was being so far out and coloured red by the silt it carried to the sea. Only a few patches of sea grass and algae confirmed I wasn't walking a Martian landscape!
  I walked out quite a ways but the heavy clay soon coated my hiking boots. There were also billions of mud snails that were hard to avoid stepping on. After that, I simply walked the sandy beach, taking pictures of the setting sun, before heading in for the night.
  Final stop, Dartmouth and Halifax.
  "But He said to them, "Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?" Then He arose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was great calm. So the men marveled, saying, "Who can this be, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?" Mat 8:26-27
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...