Saturday 11 March 2017

A Bit of This and That by Susan L.

  The temperatures plummeted. Last night was bitterly cold after the unusually balmy days of February and early March. There's a rumpled quilt of snow on the lawn that wasn't there at bed-time. The trees are dusted with snow like God sprinkled them with icing sugar. Occasional mini-avalanches drift down. The songbirds are all puffed up as they perch in the branches of the lilac bushes. Landing, they create more mini-avalanches.
  Once in a while, one of them flits down to grab a crumb from the bread crusts I threw out yesterday.
  There's a gray squirrel huddled into himself at the top of the ash tree. I guess he's hoping that the watery sun has some heat in it.
  There is someone coming shortly to install a satellite dish and all the hookups for the TV. My antenna was starting to act a bit wonky. Thankfully, it comes in a bundle with my home phone. The additional cost is about what I spent on buying movies in a month. This will stop. It will be nice to have access to more of the documentary and educational shows I enjoy so much.
  None of the songs chosen for Sunday's service have flute parts. Being able to sing for a change is nice. There were some adventures in harmonizing last night. Most of the time, I hit the right notes but there's a definite need to practice some more today.
  I have been struggling with the microphone while playing the flute. The way it was positioned was off to the side so it couldn't be seen unless I rolled my eyes nearly out of their sockets. There was only a small area of reception. Unless the flute was held perfectly still, it would move in and out of the range of the mike.
  There are specific mikes for flutes so it was worthwhile approaching the worship team leader about perhaps getting one. She did her own investigating then sent me a video link about using regular vocal-type mikes and the best position for amplifying a flute. I learned something: the noise comes from the mouthpiece, not from the body. Hmmm, there's truth in that. Although a body does, embarrassingly enough, make some rather unusual noises! (I couldn't resist the chuckle.)
  The next time I play, we'll see how it works. At least I'll be able to see the thing because it will now be in front of me. This should also get rid of the stiffness from having to stay so still!
  Thank You, Lord for new opportunities, for learning, for the life that exists outside my back door. Thank You, Lord for the joy found in all of them.
  "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." 2 Thes 5:16-18
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...