Saturday 8 April 2017

Eyes and Apples, Zechariah 2:8 by Susan L.

  I am not feeling much like the, "Apple of His eye", today's affirmation. I've been rather snarly and growly over the last couple of days. The telemarketers are still calling. That makes four times this week from the same duct cleaning company which legally constitutes harassment. My thoughts of sharing Jesus with them quickly went out the window in frustration because I've asked them numerous times to delete my number from their call list. Legally, they have to honour this request.
  Canada has a National Do Not Call Registry. I signed up a while ago as well as asking my phone company to delete my number from the records they sell to phone solicitation companies. Yes, they do this!
  Except for a computer generated call from someone trying to sell me a cruise, the duct guys are the only repeat offenders. I emailed a complaint to the registry after this morning's nine AM call.
  Here's the scary part. I got the name of the company, their address and a phone number. They have no online presence which fires off some major alarm bells. When a stranger asks how many rooms your house has under the pretense of finding out how many furnace vents need to be cleaned, I have to wonder if larger homes may be targeted for a break in. There's a strong possibility this is a scam.
 
  So how do I switch snarly and growly to becoming eye apples?
  It seems ironic the fruit leading to the fall of mankind is used in an endearing and tender affirmation.
  Maybe irony isn't the right word. Maybe this was chosen to speak clearly of God's willingness to redeem everything. Even apples.
  This needs to be investigated...
  The use of the word "apple" began in a Bible translation done in 1611. The apple of the eye refers to the pupil, the most sensitive part of the human body. Hebrew texts read, "little man of His eye", meaning the mirror image that is seen reflected in the eyes of others. (Thanks, Wikipedia!)
  Oh.
  Wow...
  "For thus says the Lord of hosts; "He sent Me after glory, to the nations which plunder you; for he who touches you touches the apple of His eye. For surely I will shake My hand against them, and they shall become spoil for their servants. Then you will know that the Lord of hosts has sent Me." Zech 2:8-9
  Doing harm to another person is like poking God in the eye. Being harmed ignites the righteous wrath of God, the great Protector, Advocate, and Redeemer.
 
  I turned to worldly ways to fix a worldly problem, the telemarketers. I'd sooner go crab fishing in the Bering Sea than have the job of cold calling people. While my dealings were polite, the poor folks who, most likely, are only trying to make a living are probably subjected to a lot of abuse. Forgive my thoughts of ill will towards them, my Lord. Forgive me for poking You in the eye.
  I pray for protection from these unsolicited calls. In Jesus' name, Amen!
  "Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?" Rom 8:35
 
 

 
 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing this post I understand now the apple of his eye meaning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome! I learned a whole lot writing about it!

      Delete

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...