Friday 28 April 2017

Heroes by Susan L.

  Affirmation, day 30. "I am blood bought." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
  The civilian who ran into a burning building to pull an elderly man to safety is honoured with a Cross of Valour for her selfless act. The Canadian soldier who sacrificed his life to save his brothers on the battlefield is posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross. The Golden Retriever who leapt into a raging river to save a child is given the Dickin Medal for canine bravery.
  We need heroes. We need to celebrate their accomplishments because it offsets the grim realities of the evening news.
  Super Man, X-Men, Wonder Woman. The comic book industry has made a fortune because we need to see the world saved over and over and over again. We need to see that evil can be vanquished. Usually following the bad guy laughing maniacally over his plans to take over the world. It never happens.
 We need these stories about overcoming adversity. They have been part of human culture, probably, since we could talk.
  I'd never really thought about Jesus as being a super hero but He did what heroes do, die to save someone else. Actually, a whole lot of someone elses.
  He didn't need a cape. Simple robes were sufficient. He didn't need boots that could make Him fly. Simple sandals protected His feet from the stony roads He travelled. He didn't need a mask or a helmet to protect a secret identity. Simple truth was very clear about who He was.
  For a time, the world loved Him. That love became a threat to those who wanted to control their world and the people under them. The status quo was very profitable.
  And a hero's tale of epic proportions begins the moment our Hero died.
  The Bible tells it all. Stories of resurrection, rebirth, renewal, grace, and love. Stories of truth, justice, peace and hope. Stories of miracles, deliverance, faith and brotherhood lay within its pages.
  I am humbled to be part of this eternal story. I am honoured to be among His chosen. Most of all, every time I take communion I am reminded that He loved me enough to lay down His life and pay the final price to save my soul.
  Hmmm, it turns out I don't need Wonder Woman after all.
  "I will stand my watch and set myself on the rampart, and watch to see what He will say to me, and what I will answer when I am corrected." Hab 2:1
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...