Thursday 25 May 2017

I am Chosen 1 Peter 2:9 by Susan L.

  It's a sunny spring day. The excited kids in gym class line up in the schoolyard, happy to get this extra time outside. The teacher struggles to get the class to settle down then appoints team captains for the day. They begin the slow process of choosing their teammates for a game of soccer. One by one, the more athletic ones are chosen. The best are greeted as royalty, the average with high fives, until there's one person left.
  They aren't good runners. They are far from being a good soccer player. Maybe they are last because they look a bit different or dress a bit differently. Whatever the reason, they aren't wanted by either team so have ended up being assigned by default. They join the rest of their team amidst groans of despair, turned backs and assumptions that their team would be the losers. All because of this last person on.
  I don't know if this team selection method is still used in schools today. I hope not. It's terribly cruel.
  I've been the last person standing, waiting, hoping for someone to pick me...want me...

  Whew...writing those forgotten experiences has stirred up some old hurts! But I will say, these early wounds explain a lot about the choices I made later in life. It's another facet of understanding revealed. Thank You, Lord!

  It's in stark contrast to why Jesus chose me or why He calls any of us to His side.
  It wasn't because I had anything to offer His team.
  The world's hierarchy of worth like the pedestal placed sports superstars, beautiful actors, or even brilliant minds has no place in His domain. I'm not saying these wonderful, talented and gifted people have no place in His kingdom. God's playing field is a level one. They need His Son as much as anyone. He wants them, too, more than anything!
  The devil has a grand time using everything we do or say or believe against us because he wants to make sure we never feel worthy enough for Christ.
  That makes it extra special, His choosing us because in His eyes, we are worthy no matter what our station in life is. Doctor, homeless, white, black, man, woman, married, divorced, tea totaller, living with addictions, famous, infamous, angry, joyful...this could be a long list. Seeing as I am a human, I am bound to miss someone. God won't because we are all worthy.
  Worthy enough to sacrifice His Son for.
  Worthy enough for that same Son to die for.
  Worthy enough to forgive, encourage and strengthen.
  Worthy enough to bless with a Guide for life.
  Worthy because His Father predestined us before the dawn of time for a wonderful, beautiful, relationship with His Son.

  I've used the term divine inheritance to refer to the many gifts God has given to me. I'd never thought of myself as Jesus' divinely willed inheritance...
 
  Chosen.

  Wow.

  "But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy." 1 Pet 2:9-10

  I invite you to choose Jesus to be your Lord and Saviour. He is waiting with delighted anticipation because He chose you and only you long ago.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...