Friday 23 June 2017

Affirmation #69 by Susan L.

  I am created in Christ for good works. Ephesians 2:10
  "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them." NKJ
  "For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things He planned long ago." JCB

  My Lord? What do You have planned for me?
  And I have to chuckle. Why do I think the "plan" needs to be something great, something extraordinary?
  I supposed there's a good whack of social conditioning in there.
  "What do you want to be when you grow up? An astronaut? A doctor? The Prime Minister?"
  No. I want to be me because...the me that is me was created to do good things that are great. It may only touch a single person but the greatness of simplicity is in the expression of Christ's love.
  Why do I think I need to do more or be more?
  I suppose there's a good whack of social conditioning in there.
  "You work in a drop-in for people whose lives are touched by mental health and addictions? Oh."
  People frequently look away at that point because it's not a comfortable topic of conversation.  
  "That's nice."
  I am blessed when someone hears what I do and they feel comfortable enough to quietly share their own struggles. This happens a lot.
  I've heard that doctors and lawyers get that a lot, too.
  Maybe I need to look at my life through the eyes of Jesus...

  Maybe the blog is a good work, too. I'd never thought of it that way because it's a tool used to ground myself in the Lord nearly every day. Yup, I write for purely selfish reasons. I selfishly want to let go of self to find the self God made me to be.
  I hadn't really thought about the ripple effect this has yet, every time I sit down to write, I eagerly check out the places around the world where someone has popped in for a visit. It's like opening a gift every time a new place shows up!
  The little eight by ten inch map I highlight new places on doesn't really reflect how big this ole earth is. It's waaaay bigger than I can wrap my head around. Perhaps one day, every single country will be highlighted. I'd have to throw a party to celebrate that achievement wouldn't I?
  For someone without letters after her name, without social standing, with very few of the identifying markers society views as levels of success, that's pretty awesome. It's humbling at the same time, too.
  I rarely share that I am a blogger. It's never dawned on me before that it is part of the good works the Lord has equipped me to do. Even when I make mistakes quoting scripture. There's a richness in that, too. It's a growth opportunity.
  Perhaps part of identifying what is a good work is that it not only blesses others but generates a richness in my own life. Especially when I make mistakes only to end up growing as a person, as a child of God.
  Jesus' good work on the cross meant sacrifice.
  I am thankful to have the time I need to dedicate to the blog. Is it a sacrifice if it doesn't feel like one?
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...