Thursday 15 June 2017

I am a Conqueror Roman 8:37 By Susan L.

  "Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us." NKJ
  "No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us." JCB

  I had another epiphany at home church two nights ago.  I needed yesterday to let it percolate, grow and solidify because it rocked my world in an amazing way. These affirmations were given to me as a tool to learn my identity as a follower of Jesus. It was also an opportunity to explore the gifts that living in Jesus unlocks.
  At least, that's how I have approached it up to now.
  I realized there's an entirely different dynamic involved in these affirmations. It's not about me being this or that. Although, it is still an important aspect because it's easy to fall away from God's truth when other "truths" try and move in.
  What's more important is this long list tells me about the attributes of Jesus. The capital "I" at the beginning of each statement belongs to Christ, His Father and the Holy Spirit. A little "i", meaning me, is wrapped securely within it.  The I Am is the holy Trinity. An i am is me. Or to clarify, the list's heading is "WHO I AM IN CHRIST" but I am now seeing it as  "Who Christ Is, therefore i am."
  I have been given a wonderful opportunity to grow my knowledge of Jesus on so many different levels. More than anything I want to be like Him. There's something assuring in knowing this is a done deal, that this destiny began to unfold the moment I accepted Him as Lord.
  I am also seeing more clearly the idea that He had never left. I had.
  Being like Jesus is something I can't do on my own, though. There's a couple of things called independence and self-reliance that shape how I approach the world and my place in it. It's been so much a part of the fabric of my life because not knowing Jesus for most of it, there were no other options based on the circumstances. They still creep in because there is an enemy of my soul working very hard to keep his poisonous ideas flourishing. The old ways have a way of resurfacing.
  I falter. I sin. I don't always turn to the Lord. I get angry and frustrated and run out of patience. I rarely ask for help...hold on.... Jesus is all that is needed for the strength to overcome all these things (and many more). My Conqueror won the battle already through His once-and-for-all-eternity victory at the cross.
  "For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Rom 8:38-39
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...