Tuesday 27 June 2017

I am Dead in Christ Romans 6:4 by Susan L.

  Not being the author of this list, I find this a rather odd affirmation to explore because the truth of the matter is that I am alive in Him. Let's see what the scripture says...
  "Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from he dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life." NKJ
  "For we died and were buried with Christ by baptism. And just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glorious power of the Father, now we also may live new lives." JCB

  This same passage was used about a month ago for Affirmation #41, "I am buried with Christ."
  It's all about leaving the old man behind by submitting to the second most important step in being a follower of Jesus: baptism.
  I had been baptized as an infant according to Anglican practices. I also attended several lessons about what communion was prior to going through the ritual of first communion. Something rather important got missed: the love of Jesus. I went to the classes but couldn't tell you a single thing that was taught at the time. I accepted first communion feeling a bit like an imposter because I didn't understand the reason why such a thing was done. Being thirteen, it was the proper time according to the church.
  Lord, maybe it's time I forgave the Anglican Priest who ran the communion classes... Forgive me for viewing holy Communion as a church ritual. Thank You that it has become an incredible gift of intimacy and connection with You. Each time, I sit with Your disciples in the upper room and hear You speak the words so carefully written down.
  Thank You, Lord, that no experience is wasted because You filled my heart with the desire to be baptised as an adult. It was on my own terms and as a proclamation of the newfound faith You placed in my heart.
  But it's more than a proclamation isn't it? Understanding the profound impact this act of obedience has had on my life continues to grow as I mature as a Christian. Part of it is a proclamation of faith. Mostly it is another intimate moment of physical connection with the final work on the Cross: the Lord's death and resurrection into eternal life. 
  Re-birth and resurrection, the gift of Baptism. The old man is left behind in the waters. The new one, the true, God ordained, person emerges.
  And I have to smile. A friend just called and provided my closing comments for today. We were talking about last Thursday night's once-in-a-100-years storm. Torrential rain fell, in some places 130 mm. Rivers overflowed their banks causing some people to be evacuated from their homes. Bridges, roads and driveways were washed away in a matter of moments. Massive culverts were undermined and pulled from the ground.
  Nothing of man will withstand an assault by water if there's enough of it. The waters of Baptism are a gazillion times more powerful. Nothing of man can stand against them.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...