Tuesday 13 June 2017

More Confidence by Susan L.

"I am confident He will never leave me." Hebrews 13:5-6

 I've gone and done a big, "Oops!" Before putting in the scriptural base for this affirmation, I want to apologize to God and my readers for messing up His name. Jehovah means "Lord" not "God with us." I should have written "Immanuel" yesterday instead. Some days the brain is better than others! Thank You, Lord for grace.

  "Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." So we may boldly say: "The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?"" NKJ
  "Don't love money; be satisfied with what you have. For God has said, "I will never fail you. I will never abandon you." So we can say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?" JCB

  I prefer the King James translation in this case. Covetousness covers more than money. It describes a need to possess worldly markers of status. It can feed a vicious determination to get what is wanted at all costs. No share-sies allowed. That's avarice. Scrooge, from Dickens' "A Christmas Carol", is the personification of a covetous person. Jealousy plays a huge part in this insatiable need to have more.
  So let's back up a bit. Where does the need for "stuff" come from?
  There's the cultural element. There's media bombardment fueling inadequacy. There's the endorphin rush that comes with buying something new. The birth of easy credit in the late 50's created the immediate gratification syndrome with the consequences that people in the wealthiest nations are carrying unprecedented debt.
  We can never pay enough or do enough to fill ourselves with a sense of self worth.

  Jesus bought it for us. He paid the value His Father holds for every single person. Forever.

  There was a long pause after writing that last sentence.
   Lord, there are so many areas in my life that I haven't embraced Your perfect love for me. It's only in Your perfect love that fear will be cleansed from my beating heart. I want to live securely and confidently in Your promise that You will never leave nor forsake me. Help me discern where this isn't happening, where covetousness and greed enter into my life.
  I also want to thank You for Your provision of everything I need to live and more. Help me learn to be content and grateful in all things. In Jesus' name I pray. AMEN!

  "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever." Heb 13:8
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...