Saturday 22 July 2017

Right Hand Man by Susan L.

  I am exalted at His right hand. Acts 2:34-35
  "For David did not ascend into the heavens, but he says himself: The Lord said to my Lord, Sit at My right hand, Till I make your enemies Your footstool." NKJV
  "For David himself never ascended into heaven, yet he said, The Lord said to my Lord (Jesus), Sit in the place of honor at my right hand until I humble your enemies, making them a footstool under your feet." JCB

  There are so many expressions rooted in the Bible that have been woven into English daily language. Now I understand why someone is called a "right hand man" or someone who helps things run smoothly. They are a committed partner, determined to help us succeed in whatever we do. They are the type of person who would be hard to replace because they are so good at what they do.
  In Jesus' case, it would be impossible.
  As much as this is a prophetic passage, hinting at the day of Jesus' return when all His enemies are brought into submission, it's also a statement about what happens in a life lived with Jesus. That is, if we allow Him to be our "right hand Man".
  Nothing can stand against us.
  Nothing.
  Nada.
  Zip.
  Since the anxiety has vanished in my life, I've found that imaginary catastrophes pop up out of nowhere all the time. Gruesome accidents, especially in the car, or falling down the stairs, or my favorite: spilling boiling water down my legs, all make themselves known in gory, painful detail. The other day while driving over some rough pavement, I swore a sinkhole was going to open up and suck me into the bowels of the earth! Sheesh!
  I never put a sharp knife in the sink because for some reason, I have imagined it cutting a finger clean off. Yuck. This is why I don't watch horror movies.  Sometimes having a vivid imagination isn't all that great. But, as quickly as these terrible images come, I just as quickly push them away...well, maybe not all that quick but for sure as soon as I realize where my mind is going.
  Someone is out to steal my peace. Someone is out there doing their best to make me afraid of doing anything. If I focus on being afraid, I lose sight of Jesus, the Right Hand Man I couldn't live without. The Right Hand Man who has already defeated this enemy of mine. Forever.
  As for the catastrophes? Maybe they will be the birthplace of a really good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...