Friday 11 August 2017

I am Filled. Acts 2:4 by Susan L.

  "And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance." NKJV
  "And everyone present was filled with the Holy Spirit and began speaking in other languages, as the Holy Spirit gave them this ability." JCB

  I was able to accomplish a lot following Wednesday's abbreviated post. The car needed new licence plates because the old ones were peeling. It was in ticket territory because the front one was almost unreadable. Thankfully, we have the least busiest Department of Motor Vehicles around so in a matter of about ten minutes, the old plates were off, the new plates were on and I was on my way.
  Then the garden. Ah, yes, weed haven. Coated in mosquito repellent, I tackled the sorely neglected beds. Two wheelbarrows full of weeds left me with a deep sense of satisfaction. There's still a bit more to do but the weeds aren't as obvious. Those are my "organic" gardens.
  The black currants are ready, too, so I started picking. Now this isn't hard work at all. I pull up a chair to the bushes, set up a table to hold the currant container and leisurely pick while basking in the sunshine. They are fussy things, needing the flower end to be pinched off as well or the jam could have a bitter aftertaste. This year there's enough, hopefully, to make a couple batches of jam. It's one of my favorites and well worth the work. The berries are residing in the freezer until the short season has run its course.
  This short list of accomplishments has me thinking about all the "languages" I know. There's many an acronym in government offices. Had I written DMV for Department of Motor Vehicles, it probably would have been something someone from another country wouldn't understand. Different countries have their own names for such places.
  It's the same with gardening. There is a whole whack of words totally relating to this particular hobby. Cooking, knitting, woodworking and even my job all come with their own lingo. Mine is entirely in English although many French words have worked their way into some familiar (to me)expressions. Globally, everyday language has its own personal, cultural context. Many Bible passages have worked their way into the fabric of Canadian idioms.
  I can't imagine how amazed the listeners were when the disciples began speaking in all the different languages. That means the slang, the shortened forms for words, the acronyms, context and influences...everything was directed personally to the listeners so they could fully understand the message of Jesus. It's even more amazing to think that God knew who was in the area and the Holy Spirit revealed the Lord to them in their native tongue.
  I know that many churches today tend to gloss over this gift. Some even condemn it or go out of their way to discredit what happened in the upper room.
  It's a morning for going out on a limb.
  This gift is alive and well. As is the gift of translation and interpretation.
  I've heard people say that those who speak through the Holy Spirit are only making it up. When the prayers go on for hours...it would be impossible to continue making up an imaginary language for that long a stretch.
  I watched a show a long time ago where a Catholic nun had electrodes hooked up to her head as she spoke in her prayer language. The words didn't come from the speech and language section of her brain like the people doing the test thought it would. It came from somewhere else.
  I love when science proves the existence of God.
  I think we struggle with this so much because it's so hard for us to let go of control to the extent that the Holy Spirit can use our tongues and bodies to proclaim God's truth. But the best part, if we want a gift like this, all we need to do is ask. God will find a way.
  Lord? I want all the gifts you have in store for Your children. Help me let go of control so that my body, mind, heart and soul are fully in Your service. In Jesus' name I pray. AMEN!
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...