Friday 15 September 2017

1 Peter 1:3-4 by Susan L.

I am given His magnificent promises.

  "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you." NKJV
  "All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. It is by his great mercy that we have been born again, because God raised Jesus Christ from the dead. Now we live with great expectation, and we have a priceless inheritance--an inheritance that is kept in heaven for you, pure and undefiled, beyond the reach of change and decay." JCB

  This is the promise of the Hope of Eternal Life. I confess it's a bit hard to wrap my head around, although my Uncle's passing has had me thinking a lot about what happens on earth after I am gone. I need to take care of some business in that regard.
  It's funny how grief is. Strange things can trigger an upwelling of tears. I wasn't greatly affected while clearing out his room at the hospice. He hadn't been there long enough to form any sort of emotional connection with the space. What tugged at my heart was the fact that most of Harry's last belongings fit into a large Rubbermaid bin. It held the sum total of ninety plus years on this earth. The bin is a poignant reminder that, in the end, stuff doesn't matter.
  I am thankful the Lord reminded me about all the houses he fixed. Knowing that makes the bin less heart wrenching.
  It has me thinking about the kind of legacy I want to leave behind. It has me thinking about the kind of person I'd like to be for my remaining years on this planet. More than anything, I want to live true to the calling with which I have been called.

  There's still a lot to let go of.

  With each ending comes a new beginning. Lord guide me where I need to go. Reveal to me the places where I am not quite right with You. Strengthen me so I can face my own sinful nature. Open the eyes of my heart. In Jesus' name I pray. AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...