Monday 25 September 2017

I Am Guarded by God 2 Timothy 1:12 by Susan L.

  "For this reason I also suffer these things; nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day." NKJV
  "That is why I am suffering here in prison. But I am not ashamed of it, for I know the one (Jesus) in whom I trust, and I am sure that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until the day of his return." JCB

  At first I wondered what Paul had committed to Jesus. What, of a human being, is worth guarding? The NKJV Bible contains a cross reference to 1 Peter 4:19 which answers my question.
  "Therefore let those who suffer according to the will of God commit their souls to Him in doing good, as to a faithful Creator."
  Hmmmm. Okay. It's his soul Paul entrusted but this translation makes it sound like God wills suffering onto His children...I know He doesn't. Our suffering is the consequence of living in a broken world.
  "So if you are suffering in a manner that pleases God, keep on doing what is right, and trust your lives to the God who created you, for he will never fail you." JCB
  That's better.
  I might have shared this story before but it bears repeating in light of today's affirmation.
  A friend of mine needed a new car but lacked the funds. She was a housekeeper who worked hard for a living. One day a ferocious storm blew in. A tree fell on her car. The first thing she said was, "Praise Jesus!" Seriously, she did!
  Not only did her insurance pay out, but so did the city because they had been warned about how sick and dangerous this particular tree was. The people she was cleaning house for also gave her a bit extra because they felt badly about the loss of her car. In the end, she got a newer, better car than she'd ever thought possible!
  I'm left with a Triple T. (Thinking Things Through.)
  It's easy to entrust my soul to God. Maybe because a soul isn't a tangible, physical thing. It doesn't sit safely on a shelf somewhere. It's my life force, my heart. It's the metaphysical.
  It's the rest of the package that's not so easy. Things like feelings, thoughts, actions, wants, needs, belongings, relationships, responsibilities...suffering. Choices...
  Yet, my soul knows God has these under His wings, that He will guide me along His paths. My soul knows that His Son is the Great Redeemer so even if I stray, even if I wander far from His Father's ways, Jesus is right there because all my wanderings are with Him by my side.
  He truly is my Knight in shining armor.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...