Saturday 21 October 2017

I am the Image...by Susan L.

The rest of the affirmation goes on to say, "and glory of God." 1 Corinthians 11:7

  "For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man." NKJV
  "A man should not wear anything on his head when worshiping, for man is made in God's image and reflects God's glory." JCB

  This has thrown a cog in the works and has stirred up a whole whack of questions. Chapter 11 is entitled "Instructions for Public Worship."
  Just before the quoted scripture, Paul goes as far as to say that a woman with her hair cut or head shaved is a shameful thing and that her head should be covered when praying or prophesying.
  I am struggling with this because it flies in the face of everything I am coming to know about the love of my heavenly Father. How can having a shaved head make one iota of difference? Why does Paul use shame to direct behaviours when, as children of God, we are to be set free of shame? Jesus died to make it so!
  Questions, questions and more questions!
  On the reverse of this, it is apparently disgraceful for a man to have long hair yet most portrayals of Jesus have long hair. What a rebel! Uh, yup.
  Yet, according to Paul, long hair on woman is supposed to be her pride and joy. What happened to humility and not being vain?
  While writing affirmation #114 about being glorified with Jesus, I came to realize that glory is the unadulterated, outpouring love of God. Does He love me less because I have short hair? It's even buzzed really short on one side.
  What a rebel! Yup.
  Lord, Paul's words have me terribly confused. Genesis makes it very clear that both man and woman are made in Your image yet these words have torn the idea of being representative of Your glory to shreds. 
  Guide me into truth and understanding. Let everything I do and say be all to Your glory and Yours alone. In Jesus' name I pray. AMEN!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...