Wednesday 29 November 2017

I am a Light in a Dark Place by Susan L.

  Acts 13:47
  "For so the Lord has commanded us: 'I have set you as a light to the Gentiles, That you should be for salvation to the ends of the earth.'" NKJV
  "For the Lord gave us this command when he said, 'I have made you a light to the Gentiles, to bring salvation to the farthest corners of the earth.'" JCB

  There is much to be thankful for this morning. Tattered, broken clouds tear across the icy blue sky letting the sun shine down for the first time in days. It feels like it's been weeks. Even though the trees are bare of leaves and November gray is the colour of the season, when the sun hits the upper branches as they sway in the breeze, they glow. The poplars, ash, birch and maples create a pallet of shades and hues I never thought gray could be. It's punctuated by the earthy green of cedars and pines heavily laden with milk chocolate pine cones. (I've heard this is a sign of a hard winter. I hope not!)
  This is my corner of the world. Every day the view from the kitchen window changes. It's still the same trees but each season, each day, each hour adds its own subtle nuances to the landscape.
 
  I have often thought about going on a missions trip to some exotic location in obedience to this commandment. It's been thought about but cast aside because I believe that's where Christians go astray in thinking we need to leave home to spread the love of God. There are a lot of earth corners where we live, work, shop, exercise and play.
  There is need and want in my own community. There is poverty. Hunger. Homelessness.
  There is incredible wealth as well. High end stores dot the main street beside second hand shops and pawn shops. High end restaurants snuggle in beside places where a slice of pizza and a soda can be bought for a couple of bucks.
  Tucked in behind the main street is the food bank.
  If all who believe that Jesus is Lord and the Author of salvation spread the gospel to those in need in our own back yards, it wouldn't be long before salvation is found in the earth's farthest corners.  
  Physical wealth has nothing to do with spiritual need.
  I am thankful the Lord called me to be a writer (amongst other things). I am not so great at face to face conversations about faith. I am not so great at conversations period.
  Hmmm. Neither was Moses. Look what he accomplished through faith and obedience!
  Another "Hmmmm."
  And a smile.
  Moses I am not! But I am Susan or Sue for short. Lord, how will You use me to glorify You?
  I need to think about (and be thankful for) how He already is!
  Lord, bless me with opportunities to share of You. Bless me with the words to say in obedience to the leading of the Holy Spirit. Teach me to set aside my own reluctance and fears. In Jesus' name I pray.
  I want to thank You for giving me the blog and the opportunity it provides in helping me understand what being a Christian means. Thank You for every individual around the world who, by joining me at the kitchen table, encourages and strengthens this resolve. Praise God that You have given this socially awkward, middle aged woman, a voice.
  Now, let me be a light that is unquenchable. AMEN!
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...