Sunday 12 November 2017

Romans 8:28 by Susan L.

  I know all things work together for good.
  "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." NKJV
  "And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them." JCB

  Sometimes, when I read a Bible passage, one particular word or thought will leap out. Not so with this one. This one has several worthy of exploring further.
  "All things." That's everything. Good, bad or indifferent. It's trials, joys and suffering. It's the entire range of human experiences.
  Thank You, Lord, for the books in the Bible called Ecclesiastes and Job.

  "Work together for good." No matter what the devil throws our way, "God can redeem it for the good of those who love God." This doesn't mean we will be necessarily healed of our wounds but perhaps our experiences can help us learn patience and humility. Perhaps, when we are in a place that seems far removed from God, we are being given the opportunity to learn trust and have faith that He is there. Always. Maybe all we've been through gives us the gift of understanding and compassion and makes us able to minister to others better.
  Lord, thank You for my life.

  I get a sense that this passage is often quoted to those who are in the midst of trials. Maybe someone said it to me. Instead of this passage giving comfort, it felt punishing. (I forgive them because it was their way of showing love.) There is a time to quote scriptures and a time when the only requirement is to give a hug or hold a hand. That's love with skin on it.
  Teach me discernment, Lord, so I can better comfort the suffering, encourage the failing, and strengthen the weak according to Your will for their lives. Let me bring life through all I do and say.

  "Love God." I know this is hard for some. The heart of God the Father is often tainted by our experiences with our earthly fathers. How we perceive Him is shaped by a parent who was broken. And it's not just a parent, any authority figure can have a detrimental impact on our understanding of who God is.
  Lord, I ask to know You even more.

  "Are called according to his purpose." We live in a success oriented culture. Big job, big bucks, big house are the parameters of success constantly bombarding us. This idea overflows into our faith. We end up looking for OUR GRAND PURPOSE IN LIFE SERVING GOD. While in pursuit, we miss the wonderful and humbling understanding that every day, every moment, every event has a purpose pre-ordained by God.
  Even when we think we screwed it up.
  And that is a wonderful thing.

  Lord, I want to unravel the misunderstandings I have about who You are and what serving You looks like. Again, I ask that You show me how to love better. In Jesus' name I pray. AMEN!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...