Tuesday 5 December 2017

I am Loved. John 3:16 by Susan L.

  "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but would have everlasting life." NKJV
  "For this is how God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life." JCB

  The chapter/verse numbers for today's affirmation are a common sight.
  It's quoted on private billboards at the side of the highway.
   Baseball game attendees write it on poster board, hoping the camera will pick them out of the crowd. That way, the boldly written, "JOHN 3:16!" will be televised throughout the world. It usually is at least once in the broadcast. If the camera doesn't find it in the crowd, a home run ball often lands near the sign holder just to make sure it is seen!
  I wonder if anyone who reads these declarations is encouraged to find out more? I wonder if a gateway to understanding God's love is opened by these bold ads. I wonder because it's a cultural assumption that everyone who sees these things would know the 3:16 refers to a location in the Bible.
  It's purely curiosity yet I can accept that I'll never know the answers.
  I have a lot of questions that may never be answered in this life.
  Still, I'll keep on asking, seeking, knocking.
  Especially when it comes to discovering what love, real love is about.

  Why? Because thinking about love makes me uncomfortable. Really uncomfortable.
  My experiences of love have been tainted by the world. While I want to let go and move on, those four little letters, L...O...V...E, trigger alarm bells that send me running scared.
  That's sad, isn't it?
  How do I understand the pure, unadulterated love of God? How do I fully embrace what it is to be loved without strings attached?
  Lord, You blessed me with an imagination. Maybe by imagining a big garbage bin, You could help me toss what isn't applicable to the pure and Holy love You unlocked through the sacrifice of Your only Son.
  This is my heart's desire and my prayer for today: to know Your heart deeply and intimately. I ask this in Jesus' name. Amen.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...