Wednesday 10 January 2018

Ephesians 1:11

  I have obtained an inheritance.
  "In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will." NKJV
  "Furthermore, because we are united with Christ, we have received an inheritance from God, for he chose us in advance, and he makes everything work out according to his plan." JCB

  How many of us while away a few moments by musing on everything we would do if a previously unknown, exceedingly wealthy relative leaves us a fortune in their will? I've often thought about such things myself. Daydreaming of house renovations as kitchen and bathroom fall under an imaginary sledgehammer. A new car. A big trip. Then there's sharing this wealth with my children. I'd love to be able to buy a better building for the Krasman Centre. Hmm, never thought about buying a building for my church...I'd like that, too! The flights of fancy just keep on going until every single imaginary penny is spent ten times over.
  I've never done this with the inheritance I've received from God, though, and it's the real deal!
 
  What does God's inheritance include?
  First of all, He gave us His Son. Knowing Jesus means knowing the heart of God. So there's knowledge. Yet, knowledge is nothing without wisdom. That's part of it, too. We are given wisdom  through the leading and insights of the Holy Spirit. He's the second part of our divine inheritance.
  The next part of God's "will" grants us forgiveness for our sins. It's meant to be shared freely with others. Call it a tax free gift.
  Grace is interwoven through the act of forgiving and being forgiven. Grace comes when we fall short; when we wander from living according to our inheritance. Grace is why we are heirs in the first place!
  Then there's the peace that surpasses all understanding. I don't often experience this amazing gift because my very human nature gets in the way. But, when I do, it's awesome!

  This could go on for a while because the three hundred affirmations I've been investigating are statements of inheritance from the unending, incalculable, eternal estate of God.
  And I've been corrected because I stated that grace is why we are heirs in the first place but that's not totally accurate. Yes, it's part of it, but the reason we are heirs is because of four little letters:

LOVE

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...