Monday 8 January 2018

I Am Obedient. Isaiah 1:19

  "If you are willing and obedient, you shall eat the good of the land." NKJV
  "I you will only obey me, you will have plenty to eat." JCB

  I think the New King James version says it best: "if you are willing." Sometimes the heart is willing but the flesh rebels. I believe God honours our hearts. I believe He honours when we try to be obedient to His commands.
  What stands in the way of obedience though? We are fiercely independent. That begins to exert itself the moment we start learning to tie our own shoes! How many parents have had to delay departure because their toddler insists on doing things for themselves?
  Or maybe it's even before that. The quest for independence begins the moment we understand what "No!" means.
  I have to think of the number of times someone told me what to do based on their own desires or needs. It was a huge issue in my marriage especially. It became an even bigger issue when I didn't "do as I was told." It makes me very quick to become defensive because the obedience thing was more about the other person having complete control, about having things done their way. It was about keeping me in a position of servitude through fear.
  That fear pops up very quickly when I feel threatened by what I perceive to be an attempt to take control. Yes, I'll be the first to admit that perceptions aren't always right. Yes, I'll also admit this fear has made me rather hard to deal with at times. (More times than I care to share!)
  Hmmm, that's a big revelation. I hadn't realized how much fear I still carry when it comes to developing relationships or friendships. I am afraid the old habits will take over and I'll lose myself again. Not that I was truly lost, God had His hand on me the whole time.

  In Christ, obedience isn't about power. It isn't about squashing our natures or our minds. It isn't about being in charge at a cost of individuality.
  In Christ, our uniqueness is celebrated!
  In Christ, there is choice.
  In Christ, there is grace. He is more than happy to let us flounder around for a while until we realize His way is the better way.
   In Christ, there is patience. He gives us the time and space to learn to trust Him. He has all the time in the world.

  Am I obedient? Sometimes.
  What has happened when I choose to be obedient to His commands? Despite the times it has been a rather reluctant obedience, I have ended up blessed, feasting on the "good of the land." More importantly, it has given me an opportunity to share that feast by being a blessing for others.
  Lord, show me how to be a blessing for others in all that I do. In Jesus' name I pray. AMEN!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...