Monday 19 March 2018

I Have Received Mercy. 1 Peter 2:10

  For he called you out of darkness into his wonderful light...(2:9)
 "Who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy." NKJV
  "Once you had no identity as a people; now you are God's people. Once you received no mercy; now you have received God's mercy." JCB

  Mercy : compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm.

  I've spent a long while thinking about the times when mercy has been the farthest thing from my heart; when the thirst for vengeance and retribution has clouded my soul with darkness and bitterness. Yet, I can also reflect and give thanks because when I lifted these things to the Light, the Light wasn't long in helping me let go of these toxic feelings by letting love and compassion in.
  Repentance, forgiveness and grace: mercy in action.
  The biggest stumbling block has been finding the ability to forgive myself for the choices I made, the harsh words I spoke in the heat of the moment. A big part of this has been finding forgiveness for believing the lies that buried the truth of who Christ is and how He sees me.
  The devil is good at reinforcing his lies. It's what is called a self-fulfilling prophecy. If we think we are unworthy, the devil is more than happy to show us just how unworthy we are. If we believe  negative things about someone else, the devil will gladly show us just how right we are because we go looking for things to prove or justify that "truth".

  We don't even need to say it out loud.

  This is a tough one when I think of the number of times in a day my mind thinks an uncharitable thought about someone else.
  "Boy, she's gotten fat!"
  "I wish he'd stop complaining so much!"
  "Man, that guy's an idiot for driving so close to my car!"
  "Why can't they shut their yappy dog up!"

  This could be a long list.
  Forgive me, Lord, for allowing judgement and negativity into my thoughts.
  I have a question though. Does pity come from a place of judgement? Of superiority?
 
  Lord, I want to do better.
  Why?
  Because You have shown me "better" in action every time I look at You. Because You showed me mercy and love even when I lived apart from You. Because You keep on showing me, teaching me, these wonderful things. Because You opened Your merciful arms, welcoming me home just as I was, dressed in rags and covered by the stains of the world. (Luke 15:11-32)
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...